The Westgate Fashion Designers Programme (The Fashion EDI) is a fashion programme designed to unravel young fashion talent in the Western region of Johannesburg. The aim of the programme was to uncover talent, develop it into entrepreneurship level and help commercialize it. The programme was incubated by Phukazi Holdings on behalf of Pareto Limited and purposed for the benefit of Westgate Shopping Centre.
This programme inspired retail penetration by South African young Designers in a sustainable manner, offering a one of its kind development and support programme that no other Mall in South Africa has ever offered.
The following objectives were key to this programme:
- develop leadership competencies that will directly contribute to a strategic imperative to sustainably introduce more South African brands into our malls.
- educate and coach prospective South African Design & Fashion retailers on how to succeed as a retailer in a formal mall environment.
- use the latest Mall marketing, retail and operational tools and techniques prospective and current tenants will be able to establish their brand and offering, create awareness to generate new business and retain loyal customers across all customer touchpoints.
The programme further taught key elements that contribute to a successful retail experience such as changing mindsets, a global focus, personal development and improved business and leadership skills:
- The Business of Retail
- Retail Financial Management
- Merchandising 101 for your Brand
- Retail Operational Guidelines (Staffing, Security, Planning, Stock Management etc)
- The Science of Customer Service and measurement
Already H&M and Mr Price have requested proposals from these companies.